Monday, December 04, 2006

Part 14: Late Night Car Rides

I was home alone one night, and really starting to miss Noah. It was around Christmas time and raining outside, and even though I love my 1960s-era metal wall heater, cozying up to it instead of a real human body just wasn't doing the trick. I decided to call him to see if he wanted to come over for dinner.

He knocked at my door and let himself in just as I had finished cooking (I made crispy baked chicken and sauteed vegetables in teriyaki sauce to top long-grain rice). The tops of his shoulders and shoes were wet, and water was dripping from his hair. He smelled so good.

He walked over to where I stood in the kitchen and wrapped his arms around me in big bear hug as I said "Hi" with subtle excitement, and he told me how delicious it smelled.

"Hey. I really hate to do this to you," he said, "but I've pretty much gotta eat and run. Some of my friends are having a Christmas party and I promised them I'd make an appearance. But it's not for another hour or so, so we can hang out for a while before I need to leave."

"Oh, ok. No problem," I answered, managing to smile while trying to hide my disappointment (and secret hope that he would invite me along (which didn't happen)). I changed the subject as I put the food on plates. "Um, so, I didn't make anything fancy. Just chicken and rice."

We sat at the kitchen counter next to each other and laughed as we ate. Noah helped himself to seconds, which is always a good sign, and I pushed my plate away as I leaned on my elbow and listened to him talk. It was so easy to be with him, and he made me want to cook for him every night. Hell, he made me want to do his laundry and clean his house and bear his children. It was like a dream and I felt like I was glowing. We were glowing.

Afterward, he helped me do the dishes as we laughed and talked some more. But of course, as all good things end, it was his time to leave. I didn't want to seem desperate or let down, so I hugged him and thanked him for helping me wash up, and he thanked me for dinner. It was another really good hug, and then he was gone.

After I had finished putting the clean dishes away, Stacy called me and asked if I wanted to watch a movie at her house, and wanting to be rescued from the onset of depression due to my disappointment that Noah had gone, I agreed. She picked me up from my place a few minutes later and I told her what had just happened as we drove to her apartment.

...

We turned off all the lights and almost as soon as we had started the movie, my phone rang. It was Noah.

"Hey, Noah," I smiled to Stacy.

"Nic, what are you doing right now?"

"I'm at Stacy's house and we're about to watch a movie. Why?"

"Um, would she mind if I came over?"

"What about your party?"

"Well, I stopped by and said hello, but then realized that I miss you. So I left."

I was so happy to hear those words through the phone's speaker. "Come on over. Do you know where she lives?"

"Yeah. Ok, I'll be over in a few."

Wow. Maybe it was my cooking? I couldn't be sure, but I was joyous nonetheless. A few short minutes later, Noah appeared in the doorway and sat next to me on the couch.

...

When the movie was over, Stacy asked if I wanted a ride home, until Noah spoke up and offered to take me, since he was already going to be out. We said goodbye to Stacy and climbed into Noah's tan-colored Honda. As we drove across town to my apartment, we joked about love and relationships.

"Yeah, I'm thinking about becoming a Monk or a Priest," he told me.

"What?? Why?"

"Because girls don't like me, so I might as well take a vow of celibacy."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. "Excuse me, Noah Preston, but I'm pretty sure that every girl at the University knows who you are, and any girl that knows who you are can't help but fall in love with you. It's a part of your charm."

"Jehoadan Nicole, you never cease to flatter," he laughed. We were in the habit of using each other's full name when we flirted.

He then proceeded to explain his band's newest song, which was a first-hand experience he had with a particular, unnamed girl. He put in the CD and I listened to his voice sing these words:

I'm the object of her novelty.
A million lights lined up for her to see.
Hold out my arm, reach for it with her heart,
What a novel way, What a novel way to start.

I'm the subject of her frailty.
A million cards sent quite possibly
with a return in mind, an investment from the heart.
What a novel way, what a novel way to start.

Ten years is a long, long time to wait, ten years,
and who can debate that ten years is a long, long time to wait?
Am I worth the wait? Am I worth the wait?
Survey says no, I'm not worth the wait. I'm not worth the wait.

She said, I got what it takes, a heart a decade won't break,
but I think it's only fair to tell you that 2 months is 2 too long
to prove me wrong.

(Her novelty)
She'll grab ahold of you,
(Her novelty)
and leave before you count to two.

(Her novelty)
She'll grab ahold of you!


My heart sank. I couldn't help but feel like he was talking about me, even if he wasn't. I would have definitely waited 10 years for him, but I too needed an answer.

If he would have only asked me to wait, I would've.

No comments: